Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Longest Day

To all who read this I am sorry but I got a little long winded tonight.

12/3/2011 18:30 Hrs (6:30 PM)

So my long 38 hour shift of work and school has come to an end. It started unlike any other 38 hour shift I do like this every other weekend it was the 20th anniversary of my brother’s death so the day had a sad undertone to it. 07:30 I arrive at work like any other Friday all I want to do is get my truck and get the day started in my head all I want to do is work to keep my mind off my brothers anniversary but that didn't happen I was informed by the overnight dispatcher I would be dispatching or as I call it (In The Box). Just what I needed to have an idle mind all day sitting there staring out a window but I would make due. So the day goes on my wife calls me a few times to check on me see how I am holding up some of my closest co-workers also check in on me finally the long day in the box ends. I gather my thoughts for the drive to the firehouse for the 12 hour rescue shift. 17:15 hours I arrive at the station the rescue is out I am kind of happy this gives me a little while to unload my gear out of my truck get my uniform on and just sip my coffee and relax. I hear the rescue backing in the station I am ready to start my truck check. Bill and Tom give me report on the truck and we shoot the breeze as I wait for my partner Keith to show all of a sudden the alarm goes off and we are dispatch to a call for head pain Bill offers to go to the call with me I get a phone call from Keith he is 5 minutes out he will meet us on the scene. I am happy to be on the call my brain is not idle thinking of all the time lost with my brother. We load the patient in the truck and take the patient to the hospital it is an unusual call the true nature was for mouth pain due to possible dental problems we drop the patient off at the hospital see a few friends from other departments exchange pleasantries and go back to town. Starting to get idle brain and thinking again but it’s not as bad as earlier in the day Keith had read my blog I had written earlier in the morning and asked me about it I told him the story it actually felt good to tell him I felt some weight lifted off my heart and shoulders. So it is about 19:10 hours we are back at the station we have a emt basic student doing ride time with us which we both like because we get to teach her and answer questions we pass the time answering some questions and having dinner. After dinner we take her thru the truck go get fuel and come back to the station so far an easy night. 21:10 hours the alarm trips we are dispatched to Water and Miller for a man down not a long drive to the call about 6 feet off our ramp we meet the police on scene for the intoxicated male. Keith says he will teach the call with our rider it is her first ever rescue call. We arrive at the hospital it is a little busy I see my friend Zach from providence rescue standing outside he asked if we were all set and if we needed a hand I nonchalantly tell him no but thanks. The hospital is a little busy and Keith and the rider give report and take care of the paperwork and patient I put the truck back together I see a few more of my friends from providence we exchange pleasantries and all compare our patients and go down memory lane because come to find out we had all brought in intoxicated patients it kind of felt like the old days. The rest of our night is very quiet we sleep the night away. I do have to say heading to school I was in a lot better mood than on Friday morning and even during school all day. So I guess the moral of my story is I have to as thank you to all my friends and family that helped me thru the day.

Please remember the 6 Worcester Fire Fighters that gave the ultimate sacrifice 12 years ago today may you all R.I.P

No comments:

Post a Comment