Saturday, September 1, 2012

A First In My 15yr Career


A few months ago I had a first in my 15yr career as an EMT and it really got to me. I was dispatched to a local hospital to get a patient who was being discharged to a Skilled Nursing Facility. When we reached the floor at the hospital we were met by a very nice hospice nurse and a very nice hospital staff nurse. The two nurses advised me and my partner that the patient was going to the Skilled Nursing Facility for end of life care. Once taken to the room we were introduced to the patient’s wife who was really pleasant, we were informed that the patient needed to be taken off a very potent vaso dilator that they were using to keep his blood pressure up. The patient was moved to our stretcher and made comfortable the wife told us she would meet us at the SNF. So we had an uneventful ride to the SNF and after taking the patient out of the truck and started into the SNF but were stopped at the back door by the Director of Nursing. The director then asked the patients name and asked for paper work and I gave her the quick and skinny report, she then told me she was not accepting the patient and didn't care where we took him as far as a hospital. I made the choice to take him back to the hospital we picked him up from, so I called the ER and gave them the story they were very accepting and took my report. Upon arrival at the hospital I gave my report to multiple nurses including a hospital nurse manager. So after moving the patient to a hospital stretcher I went to Wright my report, after getting my report signed I went to leave it at the patients bed side and there was the very nice hospice nurse I had talked to on the floor, she informed me she was at the SNF when our patient was refused and she was never told by the SNF that they refused us. But in this whole story the people I feel the worse for is the patient who had to be moved multiple times while in pain with vital signs that were not that good, and for the patient’s poor wife who had no idea her husband had been refused admittance into the SNF. The last I knew the hospice nurse was trying to contact her but there was no answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment